Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Österreich



It always seems like I have so much to say as I'm falling asleep thinking about writing, but then when I have the time to sit down, nothing comes to mind. Today Tara took a 45 min. nap as we were walking from the train station to our hotel in Salzburg, so that might have something to do with it.
The picture is Tara and I, I swear :) It has been about 2C, so 35'ish F, kinda cold, but manageable thanks to everyone who gave T their old snowsuits

If Innsbruck and Salzburg are representative of Austria as a whole, well I'd live here. We've been up the side of a mountain, one on which 3-4 yr olds were skiing cliff side hills like they're gonna be in the olympics next year, seen a few castles, taken many walks in old towns and done a tiny bit of shopping, mostly window. Right now our search focus is a kugelbahn, a marble cascading track toy, and maternity pants that are not 6 inches too long.
We had a very nice Christmas Eve, Germans celebrate starting at around 4PM on the 24th, with the lighting of the tree, have dinner and then do presents. We managed to find one of the only two or three places to eat dinner, and they closed at 6P, we had traditional Tirol dishes. Nate had a meat and potato dish with a sunnyside up egg on top. Tara got the best ravioli we've ever had, made in house and stuffed with spinach, chopped fine with great spices and not a lick of cheese (how nice for me!) Actually now that I'm in the second trimester I've been able to eat a bit of dairy, hot chocolate is top on my list. We spent Christmas walking around town, it was lightly snowing the whole day, we took a 2.5 hr nap and relaxed and then went and listened to the choir play in the square, Nate has taken to Gluwein, and Tara and I either share tee or heise schokolade.
Walking around European old towns is wonderfully relaxing, they close the street to cars during the day, so we can let Tara run, however if you've seen any of our pictures you can see that she usually chooses the mommy back or the daddy backpack over strolling on her own.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, thx for the comment about the holiday half marathon. I still think about you guys too! Sending warm and sunny thoughts your way (even though it is raining here today). I'm sure it isn't your first holiday away from the grandparents, but I am hoping you were able to make some new traditions for your family. With love and good wishes for the new year, K

    ReplyDelete